Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mission 6: Halloween Wreath

There is something about Pinterest that makes me want to make a wreath.

Sure, I've tried to make a couple of Christmas wreaths before, but they have always been half-hearted attempts. Yet, when I see all these beautiful wreaths that people post I have this insane desire to adorn my door with things far beyond my craft expertise.

I saw this Spray Painted Grapevine Wreath and thought it was about the cutest thing ever. And while I will someday make a turquoise version, I really wanted to make something to celebrate one of my favorite holidays: Halloween!

Halloween is always a big holiday in our house and we have a pumpkin carving party every October. I decided to start decorating a little bit early this year and made this awesome candy corn grapevine wreath for our door!

First, I spray painted the wreath a matte black color. I kind of wanted it to look a little like charred wood so I wasn't super particular about getting every nook and cranny. Then, I painted a wooden "W" (to signify our last name, of course) to look like candy corn.

Is there any candy more quintessential for Halloween than candy corn? I think not!

Finally, I made some cute little felt flowers in candy corn colors. After a bit of Googling, I found this tutorial on how to make them and, while they look kind of intimidating, they were way easy!

I love how it turned out and I am already thinking of what kind of wreath to make for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of spray painting a wreath! I am all over it!

    ReplyDelete