Saturday, September 3, 2011

Mission 2: Spinach and Feta Quesadillas

Quesadillas are a staple in our house. There is nothing easier to put together when you are in a hurry and have some hungry kids on your hands...well, except PB&J.

Sometimes we just have plain cheese quesadillas or I add some taco "meat" made with soy crumbles. Or, my favorite as of late: cheese and corn quesadillas. Easy peasy and delicious too.



I am pretty sure you could slap anything between some tortillas, add some cheese and call it a quesadilla. Veggies? Make it a quesadilla! Apples? Make it a quesadilla! Hot dogs? Make it a...no...wait...don't.........ever!

Anyway, when I saw the spinach and feta quesadillas posted on Pinterest I knew I had to make them.

It was pretty easy to make.

First, I steamed up some spinach. To do this, you just put your raw spinach in a pot, add a tablespoon or so of water and cover. Cook until the spinach wilts.

I then let the spinach cool enough so that I could squeeze all the water out with my hands. There is some fancier way to do this involving a dishtowel, but I don't have time for that business!

After that, I chopped the spinach up so that it would be easier for my kids to eat. You could totally omit this step, I just thought it would make eating it a bit less troublesome for them.

After the spinach was done cooking/cooling I got down to making the cheese mixture.

Guys, this stuff was good! You could pretty much just eat it like this with a fork.

Ain't nothing betta than feta.

Like that?

After you make the cheese mixture you just spray your pan with a little nonstick spray, warm up your tortillas in the pan, assemble and cook.

After the first bite, both of my kids were completely silent except for the occasional "mmmmm". I knew we had a winner. In fact, I have snuck cooked spinach (a once disliked food) into several of their meals since the quesadillas and haven't had a complaint!

Ha ha! Trickery!


1 comment: